guix-devel

Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 23:42:05 +0100

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> Does Guix really run out of the box in Debian?
>
> I have never tried it but my friend Debian expert friend keeps telling me
> that:
>
> * Just apt-get installing Guix doesn't work

How does “apt install guix” not work?  There’s an older version of Guix
in Debian.  After installing it “guix pull” should get the latest
version and it all works.

There’s also an installer script at https://guix.gnu.org/install.sh
which skips the detour through apt and gets you the latest release
directly.

> * and his really big complaint is evidently he creates "virtual
> environments" (short of full-on VMware, I imagine it is an assortment
> of Linux native tricks that are wrapped by tools like Docker) for
> every OS he tries but
> * Evidently the same tricks don't work with Guix

Is this not *exactly* what “guix shell” (formerly “guix enviromnent”)
does?  “guix shell -C” enters a container, even, using the same Linux
namespace mechanism that Docker wraps.

> * He does not want to try full blown Guix OS without first testing it in
> above ways

Guix can comfortably be used outside of Guix System.  And you can
*still* use most “guix system” commands, e.g. to build containers or
virtual machines.

--
Ricardo