guix-devel

Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:40:56 +0900

Does Guix really run out of the box in Debian?

I have never tried it but my friend Debian expert friend keeps telling me that:

* Just apt-get installing Guix doesn't work

* and his really big complaint is evidently he creates "virtual environments"
(short of full-on VMware, I imagine it is an assortment of Linux native tricks
that are wrapped by tools like Docker) for every OS he tries but
* Evidently the same tricks don't work with Guix

* He does not want to try full blown Guix OS without first testing it in above
ways

* He is very comfortable with Debian - doesn't see any benefit that Guix brings

I cannot comment much because the whole point of my using Guix is precisely
because I know very little if Linux and its surrounding toolset so I want to
abstract it, paper it over with Guix 😄

-Yasu