guix-devel

Re: Return back original implementation for text-config serialization

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Return back original implementation for text-config serialization
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:11:28 +0300

On 2022-01-24 16:37, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> skribis:
>
>>> Making Guix Home part of Guix was and still is a commitment, in
>>> particular the commitment that we’d all be working on one
>>> implementation, that there are no “competitive incompatible
>>> implementations”.  It’s a choice we made, not a phenomenon we’re
>>> passively observing.
>>
>> This is exactly what I want to achieve: To be able to collectively work
>> on one consistent implementation, but fee0bc, which slipped to the
>> master unreviewed, splitted home service configuration approach into two
>> competitive implementations, a few essential home services in guix repo
>> and bigger rest of non-essential stuck in rde.
>
> I love that rde is going much further than Guix, but I think it’s in
> nobody’s interest to “compete”.
>
> The change in question was discussed at length and reviewed at
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50967>.

The intent of the patch series was to rename modules and the change
about text-config was added somewhere in between.  I asked to move it
out to the separate thread and do a separate review on that, but seems
the message was missed.

> I think this patch requires more discussion and better to keep it
> outside of this patch series.  Skimmed throught other patches, overall
> LGTM.

The proper review of this big patch series with a few unrelated changes
is hard and inefficient.  We can see that here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50967#66

The semantically-incorrect change was applied, not mentioning that the
discussion about this whole patch #13 wasn't finished in my opinion.

I'll be more clear next time and will state the intent more precisely to
prevent such situations in the future.

Sorry for rising the same thread again and again, but it's really
improtant in my opinion and I would like to complete this discussion.

Seems Maxime rised good questions and proposed nice ideas and discussion
is going forward.

>> I already mentioned at least two possible ways to handle this
>> situtation:
>> 1. Rewrite the rest of rde home services.
>> 2. Rollback this change.
>>
>> I'm ok with both options, but #1 requires much more human hours to
>> complete and I still not sure if fee0bc was introduced for strong
>> reasons or was added almost accidentially.  So I try to find a
>> justification for this change.
>
> I don’t want to cause troubles in rde for you and its users, but I also
> don’t want Home decisions to be discussed there.
>
>>> Are there Guix Home issues reporting this?
>>>

>> Just a 3 cases I observed in Guix Russia telegram chat.
>
> OK.  I don’t see anything at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org> though, which
> is where I’d expect bug reports for Guix Home.

Of course, I try to redirect people to guix mailing lists, but despite
this fact the discussions and question happens in other places too.

>>> Are there any new arguments since the already lengthy discussions that
>>> led to fee0bced7fec2f9950957976a28f033edd4f877c?  Is it really what’s
>>> leading to Guix Home being stale, or is there something else?
>>
>> IMO, changes to text-config in fee0bc really makes it harder to continue
>> the work on many Guix Home related tasks.
>
> It feels exaggerated to me, but that’s perhaps because I’m overlooking
> important aspects.
>
> I’d like us to move forward on this.  I think the best course of action
> is to focus on concrete things rather than abstract design discussions.
>
> Can we move, one by one, a few more services from rde to Home?
>
> Earlier I mentioned the SSH client service, but there are more.  When we
> move them, let’s see if problems arise related to this pattern or to
> other changes made in Guix Home.  At that point perhaps it’ll be clearer
> for everyone (or at least for me) what concrete problems this poses and
> how we could address it.
>
> How does that sound?

Ok, let's try, but please don't hurry, a few first services are
important, because they set the style and I would really want it to be
consistent and well-designed.

> In the meantime I submitted a patch for my first Home service this
> week-end.  :-)

Saw one of your week-end patches, will find the rest, test them and
share my thoughts in a few days.

I have some attention problems, so I don't follow all the patches on
guix-patches, please CC me for Guix Home related changes if it's
possible and not very burdening.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin