guix-devel

Re: ImageMagick from 2020?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ImageMagick from 2020?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:00:25 +0100

Hi!

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> skribis:

> I also played around with it and came up with
>
>     https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/2022-01-16/missing-sources.json
>
> This is a “sources.json” that only lists the “missing” and “unknown”
> sources from the PoG report.  It lists sources across all commits (since
> 1.0.0).  This might be the easiest thing for SWH to handle, since it
> omits nearly 20k sources that they definitely already have.  Since they
> don’t have the tarball hashes, they have no way to skip downloading and
> processing tarballs that they already have by hash.  Hence, filtering it
> with the extra data we have through the PoG projects should be something
> that they welcome!
>
> If they want, they could point a loader task at
>
>    https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/latest/missing-sources.json
>
> and I could publish updates when I publish new PoG reports.

Sounds great!  Could you ask them whether they could do that?  It may be
that it’s going to be a one-time thing, if everything goes well.

> There’s one other thing to think about.  Some of our sources are
> arguably unsuitable for SWH.  For instance, our bootstrap binaries.  I
> bet we have a bunch of other borderline things, too, like game assets.
> Of course, if they are indiscriminately ingesting Github, I’m sure
> they’ve loaded plenty of garbage.  Mostly, I think about these things
> because I believe it’s important to maintain the Guix-SWH relationship.

Right, it would be nice to filter them out somehow, even though it’s a
drop in the ocean of binaries that SWH ingests routinely (for instance
that’s the reason why we find some tarballs, as is, via
‘lookup-content’).

Thanks,
Ludo’.