guix-devel

Re: File search

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: File search
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:53:17 -0500

Hi Ludovic,

Thank you for this valuable initiative :-).  I like that it sits in few
lines and should already be useful for local searches with a minimal
front command to query it.

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>
>> What about ... a roughly weekly job that runs on ci.guix. to create the
>> database and packages of parts of the database and a channel that
>> includes those and utilities to query them so that you can install the
>> packages and refresh them at your leisure...
>>
>> Or just put the packages in the main repository, and update it manually
>> roughly weekly?
>
> Making the database a package (or set of packages) sounds quite weird or
> at least very unusual from a Guix viewpoint, where packages normally
> describe build procedures.
>
> But a cron job publishing a file somewhere, why not!

I also had the idea of making it a package... this way only the people
who opt to install the database locally would incur the cost (in
bandwidth).

Perhaps a question for Vagrant: talking about size, is this SQLite
database file comparable or smaller in size to the apt-file database
that needs to be downloaded?  With the Debian software catalog being
about 30% bigger, I'd expect a similarly bigger file size.

If Debian is doing better in terms of database file size, we could look
at how they're doing it.

Thank you!

Maxim