guix-devel

Re: Preservation of Guix report 2022-01-16

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Preservation of Guix report 2022-01-16
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:28:02 +0100

Hi,

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> skribis:

> I’ve published a new preservation of Guix report:
>
>     https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/latest/
>
> Actually, the URL is <https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/2022-01-16/>, but I
> thought having a way to reference the latest report would be helpful.

Nice!

[...]

> A really important thing to do at this point is to verify that some
> reasonable looking computation is covered by what we are doing already.
> For instance, is every source used to build Guile (or Python or R)
> preserved?  This will ensure that key sources are not missing, which is
> a real possibility given that everything so far has been purely a
> numbers game!

I wonder if we could have something similar to ‘guix weather -c’, which
would highlight missing sources with many dependents.

TeX Live is a big concern: it’s all Subversion, and everything depends
on those packages.  IIRC, SWH does not support Subversion yet; and when
it does, we’ll have to adjust our code so it can actually fetch
Subversion checkouts from SWH.  One issue is partial checkouts: all
these ‘texlive-’ packages refer to partial checkouts of the big TeX Live
repo.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.