guix-devel

Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:16:01 -0500

Hello again!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> On aarch64-linux, on master, bug 52943 prevents the "guix" package from
> building successfully.  I've committed a fix for this on the master
> branch in commit 24c3485bb3ffc05e687ef6513ac287b8d3048bab.  However, I
> haven't yet updated the "guix" package, since Ludo mentioned here that
> he wanted to update the "guix" package to include a different fix (for
> bug 52752), but I'm not sure that he's done that yet:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52752#2

It seems there may be more to fix for Guix to build on i686, according
to the above (Denis reported 3 failures in their latest attempt).

> I figured we could coordinate and update the "guix" package at the right
> time, all at once.

Sounds like a good idea!

> It would be good to ensure that the "guix" package builds successfully
> on aarch64-linux for the 1.4.0 release.  Therefore, I'd like to get the
> fix for 52943 included in the version-1.4.0 branch, but I don't want to
> step on anyone's toes.  What can I do to get the fix included in the
> release?

There have been many smaller integration fixes coming after the
version-1.4.0 merge of today; I guess we should recreate the
version-1.4.0 when we deem we're ready for an RC or when the need
arises.

I've deleted it now to avoid confusion, and will diffuse a message about
it on guix-devel.  We can work on stabilizing master some more while
also getting the dist machinery ready.

I guess when the times come ripe for the first RC we can recreate the
release branch.

Thanks,

Maxim