guix-devel

Re: Profile definition, was Re: bug#53224: Cookbook recipe about profile

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Profile definition, was Re: bug#53224: Cookbook recipe about profile collisions
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:40:53 -0500

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:56:20PM -0500, Matt wrote:
> Leo is 100% correct that my understanding is still rather weak. I'll do my
> best despite that to help make the documentation better.

I hope you will not feel too bad about that. Remember, everyone begins
by not knowing anything. Your situation is not unique at all. Rather,
your energy for improving the documentation for yourself and others is
exemplary, and will improve Guix in the long run.

Overall, this highlights a case where there is tension between when an
implementation detail doesn't matter, and when it does. That is, the
ideal situation is that the implementation details of profiles do not
matter. However, when there are "profile collisions", it does matter.