guix-devel

Preservation of Guix report 2022-01-16

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Preservation of Guix report 2022-01-16
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:51:23 -0500

Hi all,

I’ve published a new preservation of Guix report:

    https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/latest/

Actually, the URL is <https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/2022-01-16/>, but I
thought having a way to reference the latest report would be helpful.

There’s no big news in the report.  I’ve tracked down a handful of ‘git’
and ‘text’ sources.  There are a few new ‘git’ sources missing from SWH.
Two of them are Mumi and guile-netlink, which both failed when I tried
to get SWH to visit them.

Mostly things look pretty good.  For commit 195bb1f from a week ago, we
have 85.8% coverage.  There are about 300 sources missing from SWH.
I’ve looked over the list, but there are no big obvious problems.  There
are a handful of Ruby “.gem” files, which I guess SWH skips when
visiting our “sources.json” (it probably only takes archives).  There
are some things that aren’t in “sources.json” (e.g., parts of IcedTea
like Shenandoah).  There are also some things that should be fine, but
aren’t in SWH anyway, like Guile Plotutils.  It’s a pretty normal
looking tarball listed in “sources.json”, but SWH doesn’t have it
(despite visiting “sources.json” yesterday).

A really important thing to do at this point is to verify that some
reasonable looking computation is covered by what we are doing already.
For instance, is every source used to build Guile (or Python or R)
preserved?  This will ensure that key sources are not missing, which is
a real possibility given that everything so far has been purely a
numbers game!

-- Tim