guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:26:45 -0800

On 2021-12-26, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:
>> Would it be appropriate to fix the ~700 low-hanbging fruit issues that
>> are identified by:
>>
>>   guix lint --checkers=description,synopsis
>>
>> It is not the most exciting work technically, but it is relatively easy,
>> and low risk, maybe the worst it does is put a bit more work on
>> translators...
>>
>> Maybe there are also other low hanging fruit guix lint knows about that
>> would not be particularly disruptive?
>>
>> It is not particularly urgent for a release, per se, but I suspect it
>> will just grow and grow without some sort of cycle to address such
>> trivial issues... and doing such cleanup before making a release would
>> aim for a higher standard of craftspersonship. :)
>
> About the current status, I'm nearing on pushing a version-1.4.0 branch
> which is based on master with a few more (core-ish) updates.  There's
> still a few days ahead of that, so if you manage to get many of this
> kind of problems fixed & merged in master they can easily be included in
> the next release.

I managed to get ~150 fixes in before version-1.4.0 was merged...

Wondering if it would be possible to also merge or cherry-pick:

  757a7978dd3de98d5bb033d27fd5a613038b4dc5
  gnu: trytond-*: Fix grammar.

  3c43f2b4f54dead73ce19427eb1e364581b7f2e0
  gnu: julia-bioalignments: Fix spelling.

That would fix a few more of these sorts of issues, and only affects
synopsis and description strings in small ways.

live well,
  vagrant