guix-devel

Re: Guix wiki

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:00:43 +0300

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

> this sounds nice, but the reality is that nowadays reviewing and
> pushing commits can take weeks or even months without much feedback. i
> even have a fix for git-authenticate, coupled with tests that
> demonstrate a hole, and it's been open for months. i assume because of
> the lack of bandwidth from people who are in position to review and/or
> push it, but whatever the reason is, this is the case.
>
> the vision you are painting here is inspiring, but i think the Guix
> community is reaching a size where such an organizational structure is
> not facilitating the cooperation well enough. more and more random
> people will show up, with contributions of varying levels of
> quality. if it all goes through the current choke-points of the core
> (people, guix-devel, etc), then they will get overwhelmed, or at least
> will limit what could otherwise be achieved with more appropriate
> tools/processes.

You might have a point here, but I get the feeling that things are
slowly changing to address it.  Also, it's important to keep in mind
that the sporadic contributor will always be more scrutinised.

> random example: the readability of plain-text emails pouring into
> guix-patches, compared to e.g. threaded, formatted, and
> displayed-in-context comment threads in a tool like gitlab.

I don't see how gitlab would help.  Gnus, for instance, provides the
formatting you mention.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"