guix-devel

Re: Guix wiki

From: Matt
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:51:16 -0500

 ---- On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 10:30:22 -0500 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
wrote ----
 > Hullo Matt,
 >
 > Matt 写道:
 > > I feel like it also says that community isn't important to us.
 >
 > I understand how you could reach a flawed conclusion from a flawed
 > assumption:
 >
 > > Wikis are synonymous with community.
 >
 > But it's still circular, wrong, and frankly quite offensive.

I didn't mean to say that you or the broader Guix community doesn't care. I can
see how what I said was unclear and accused people of that. I'm sorry for that.

What I tried to say was *not* if someone values community that they must have a
wiki. Instead, that a wiki is inherently based around community. If there's a
wiki, there is implied community.  Of course, it's technically possible for
someone to create, host, and maintain a wiki just for themselves. But given the
options of not hosting, or using some other format (e.g. blog), the choice of a
wiki strongly implies collaboration (which is the essence of community).

I was under the impression that the wiki linked to from the main page was *not*
editable by non-FSF members. I was mistaken about that. If that were the case
(non-editable), then I think it would reflect poorly.

I  tried to make the wiki more clear. I still think it's confusing for it to be
there.

 > Guix cares about community very much.  Many of us care very little
 > for wikis, having seen how they attract much outdated and
 > incorrect information and spam.  Wikis are high-maintenance.

Given this situation, I see why.

 > I must say, the proponents of wikis have done an exceptionally
 > poor job of representing them.  Yet we're supposed to be convinced
 > that we're missing countless valuable contributions by people who
 > can't be bothered to send a mail.

The reality is that wikis can be helpful and they can be misleading. I don't
think anyone is under the impression that they will write and maintain
themselves.

I'm not advocating for a wiki.  I'm saying, there is one currently linked to
from the homepage. What should be done with it?

I'm willing to help maintain it.