guix-devel

Re: Guix wiki

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:50:02 +0100

Hi Tobias,

I agree with your words.  And probably my wrong choice of words to
convey my points.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 18:55, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> >  - cathedral, as it is today
>
> This is revisionist.  The Bazaar model perfectly describes Guix,

Well, I do not think the Cookbook is a currently bazaar or a cookbook.
At least, not the kind of real world bazaar or cookbook I know. :-)

I never said the contrary. :-)

> Guix has never used the Cathedral model, where patch submission
> and discussion happen behind closed doors, to be released unto the
> public as a revelation from on high.

I have never said the contrary. :-)

(For the record, GNU Emacs and GNU GCC were considered as Cathedral by
the book you are referencing.)

> ‘People push nontrivial changes without review’ was never a
> condition of the Bazaar model or what made it successful.  The
> book was based on LKML, for heaven's sake!  :-)

Whatever the name of ‘People push nontrivial changes without review’,
which is more or less my definition of a wiki.

> We can find a cute new name for what's being proposed in this
> thread (the Wailing Wall model?), but simply declaring ‘the Bazaar
> is called Cathedral now, change my mind’ can't work.

For sure, if you prefer another term, I am fine.  I will not bikeshed
on that. ;-)

In any case, it is not the core of my previous message, which appears
to me more important that the name for describing the way to
contribute to the documentation.  If you prefer the Wailing Wall,
fine. :-)

Cheers,
simon