guix-devel

Re: Guix wiki

From: Matt
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:31:43 -0500

 > There is something here:
 > https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix

Good point and it's already linked from the Guix homepage. Trouble is, it only
seems editable by FSF associate members (which costs $120 or $60 for students).
Am I missing something?

While that meets the technical requirement for a wiki, I don't think it meets
the spirit: to be easily editable by anyone.  What message does that send to
would-be contributors?

To me, it says something like, we don't actually care about your contribution:
you have to literally buy in first. I feel like it also says that community
isn't important to us. As an FSF member, I could modify the wiki.  However, I
know that most people can't. That's the opposite of community.  To me, the
libreplanet wiki is a non-starter.  I was thrilled to see a wiki link on the
homepage and disgusted to see that it didn't actually foster community. In
fact, there's strife immediately within the "community" wiki, the simple fact
it exists, let alone what it says.  I think it would be better to have nothing
linked from the homepage because 1) the current wiki is useless and 2) linking
endorses what's there, including how it appears hostile to community.

I'm able to rationalize and understand that these messages are probably not
what's intended. However, I think it important to share those reactions.