guix-devel

Re: Having a package browser on guix.gnu.org

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Having a package browser on guix.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 19:53:15 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> skribis:
>
>> But I wonder if it is possible now to make the packages part use any of the
>> Postgres databases that already exist and allow traditional search without
>> JavaScript...
>
> Former Outreachy intern Danjela Lura, together with Chris Baines, had
> started developing a JS-free package browsing interface:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-07/msg00050.html
>
> Chris, could you tell us what the status is and what’s missing before we
> can use it on the web site?

I think it's unchanged for a while now, I've attached what's probably
the latest source code (there's not much to it).

I think the remaining work is to settle on a direction in terms of the
design and how to integrate it in to the website, and then deploy
something for real. Personally, I'm in favour of a packages.guix.gnu.org
domain which hosts the search page plus the package pages, and stopping
generating package pages with haunt.

I don't really have the time to try and move this forward myself, but I
can try and support others.