guix-devel

Re: Alternative solution to stat storm problem

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Alternative solution to stat storm problem
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 22:22:15 +0100

Hi Farid,

Farid Zakaria <fmzakari@ucsc.edu> skribis:

> I have written a tool _shrinkwrap_ [2] that takes all transitive
> dynamic shared object dependencies (only those listed in DT_NEEDED)
> and turns them into an absolute path.
>
> This has the same result as caching the entries and avoids the
> unnecessary failed attempts at trying each RUNPATH entry.
>
> Using the same demo application _emacs_ shows as much as well:

Nice!  I think that’s another interesting way to address the problem.

I guess the advantage is that you don’t need the ld.so patch.  The
downside is that PatchELF needs to be able to write longer NEEDED
strings in the dynamic section, which it may not always be successful at
(I think?).

Also, I wonder if the absolute file names in NEEDED interfere with uses
of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (making it impossible to force use of another
libxyz.so than the one that would be found in RUNPATH.)

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing!

Ludo’.