guix-devel

Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 09:44:27 -0600

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:27:04 +0100 raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
>> TLDR how much of the effort spent on this channel is really justified
>> compared to making the underserved use-cases easier in upstream Guix?

I also have my own personal "upstream staging" channel so that I can continue
contributing to Guix at my own pace, in my own way, until I can get enough
velocity to really internalize contributing in the way Guix would like me to. I
also tend to hack on things there, and then batch my changes for upstream so
that I can keep everything consistent and make sure all my code meets upstream
standards. In the meantime, I'm able to actually use the code.

My only concern with organizing this activity into a group is that it is a kind
of "community fork". I hope we can take the reasons people make these channels
and bring them back to Guix proper to make contributing here just as easy.

At any rate, any energy put into the ecosystem is good in my book. Cheers! :)

--
Katherine