guix-devel

Re: Replace current guix website package interface with hpcguix-web?

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Replace current guix website package interface with hpcguix-web?
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 13:47:09 +0000

On Wednesday, January 5th, 2022 at 11:52 PM, kiasoc5--- via "Development of GNU
Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> Dear Guixers,
>

> The hpcguix-web package interface (https://hpc.guix.info/browse) supports
> package search, unlike the current one at https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/.
> Plus imo hpcguix-web looks nicer.
>

> It would be a great UI/UX improvement if the current search was replaced with
> hpcguix-web. Has this been considered before?

Yes. It just needs to be done :)

One thing that would have to be addressed, though, is that the package list
view of hpcguix-web seems to work only for JavaScript-enabled browsers. So if
you are browsing with, say, Lynx, you don't have a way to discover packages.

But I wonder if it is possible now to make the packages part use any of the
Postgres databases that already exist and allow traditional search without
JavaScript...