guix-devel

Re: How to handle package udev rules?

From: SeerLite
Subject: Re: How to handle package udev rules?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:38:58 -0300

On 12/13/21 04:48, Γυψ wrote:
Dear Danny,

thanks! That lead me on the right track. In fact it's just

sudo -E guix ...

Hi!
I recommend avoiding the use of sudo -E, as it will make guix system use your non-root user's $HOME/.cache to write its compiled files, which might become a problem in the future. I myself had an issue because of this where all of ~/.cache/guile was owned by root, meaning my user was unable to write to it.

Just to make sure, try running

    find ~ -user root

to see if you've got any root-owned files in your $HOME.

I think the right command in your case is

sudo --preserve-env=GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

Replying bit late, but I hope it's useful. I see sudo -E recommended a lot yet it always causes issues on my end, so I'm against it.

SeerLite