guix-devel

Re: Convention for new “guix style“?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Convention for new “guix style“?
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 17:23:22 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 at 16:02, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> When doing the first iterations of ‘guix style’¹, I found it more
> pleasant to the eye to have small lists on a single line, the prime
> example being:
>
>   (native-inputs
>     (list autoconf automake libtool pkg-config))
>
> Diffs of such a list remain readable IMO.  I do agree that for longer
> lists one item per line is clearer though, which is why the pretty
> printer has this #:long-list parameter, currently defaulting to 5.
>
> There’s an opportunity to discuss style with new ‘guix style’ changes².
> However, care must be taken not to fall into the bikeshedding trap.  I
> think we must aim for readability and consistency, but also acknowledge
> that there’ll always be circumstances where one might choose a slightly
> different stylistic variant and that up to a certain level those
> variants are entirely fine.  In the end ‘guix style’ is a helper; human
> beings get the last say.

Well, I disagree.  But yeah, as you said elsewhere 1) the proposal had
been done more than 6 months ago so I had time to wake up and raise and
2) let avoid to fall into the Walder’s law; as exposed by the excellent
food for thought video [1] you pointed [2].

Cheers,
simon

1: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1t4zGJYUuY>
2: <https://yhetil.org/guix/87ee641w3e.fsf@inria.fr>