guix-devel

Re: bootstrapping scenario for a package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: bootstrapping scenario for a package
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:37:06 +0100

Hi!

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> skribis:

> Hi, I was trying to update mono to the current release version.  The
> build step as documented actually says to download a minimal C#
> compiler from the mono site which is then used to compile the rest of
> the source to build the full system.   I looked and did not find the
> source of this minimal compiler--so it is a black box in a way.
>
> In free software it is ideal to build everything from source.   I
> wonder how is such a package handled in Guix?   What is the strategy
> for bootstrapping?   Thanks

In several important cases (GCC, Java, Rust, OCaml, etc.), Guix goes to
great lengths to build things from source.  Most of the time, that
involves doing work that upstream isn’t doing, such as finding a path
from older or separate implementations that can be built from source to
the target compiler.  You can read a bit about it here:

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/tags/bootstrapping/

What you describe for Mono sounds problematic.  If would be nice to see
if the currently packaged version already had this problem, and if not,
we could make it a dependency of the new version.

HTH!

Ludo’.