guix-devel

Re: EXWM

From: calcium
Subject: Re: EXWM
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 20:19:55 +0100

I was totally at lost when I started my emacs/exwm session and tried to
`find-file' only to be redirected to an 'ido-find-file` with whom I don't know
how to navigate.

In the moment, it felt very intrusive for me and I was very afraid to be unable
to control my emacs because I have set all my emacs's keybindings to
non-standard keys ((in a modal way (à la vim) but using my own custom modals)
and without honoring the `C-c' convetion.) and I don't know how to navigate
emacs using the default key bindings.

Luckly, this time (because packages can evolve to add more default key
bindings), it was just the annoyance of ido that affected me.

I was thankfully able to understand what was going on by finding the Guix-devel
archive discussing this issue.

I think that if we choose to keep things as they are, a simple fix that would
help next users know what is going on without having to find an archived
mailing list :

a ) being more explicit in messages in both cases like :
   (message "no \"~/.exwm\" elisp configuration found to setup exwm. "
            "Falling back to executing the default config using
`(exwm-config-default)'")
   (message "executing the elisp found at \"~/.exwm\"")
b ) while still keeping the explicit messages, creating the ~/.exwm file when
it doesn't exist populated with guix's choice of default settings (so that the
user can read and tweak his config)

Because the message thrown by the snippet bellow is not enough at all.
(cond ((file-exists-p "~/.exwm") (load-file "~/.exwm"))
      ((not (featurep (quote exwm)))
       (require (quote exwm))
       (require (quote exwm-config))
       (exwm-config-default)
       (message (concat "exwm configuration not found. "
                        "Falling back to default configuration..."))))