guix-devel

Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:15:47 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

We could try that, but IMO we first need a solution within days—we just cannot reasonably let this branch go on for longer than that. The librsvg 2.40 hack would give us Xfce (maybe GNOME?) on i686 today.

Perhaps we can address all this in several steps:

  1. apply the librsvg 2.40 hack now so we can merge
     ‘core-updates-frozen’ this week for real;

2. later on, introduce some Rust binary for non-x86_64; that would
     lead to rebuilds only on those architectures;

3. eventually, update mrustc (and have it call gcc with -O0 to reduce its memory footprint), or use GCC-Rust instead of that’s viable.

WDYT?

This sounds sensible. Merging core-updates-frozen does *not* mean that it needs to be ready for release. It’s been delayed for too long and further delays just serve to taint our morale and drain our energy, applying fixes again and again with no end in sight.

These ongoing delays have made core-updates-frozen grow so much in scope that we cannot afford to delay a merge any longer. Let’s merge asap, even if that means using an older librsvg right now. Then add rust for non-x86_64 — either by cross-building it ourselves or getting an existing binary to restore feature parity. Then work on a long-term solution.

--
Ricardo