guix-devel

Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:43:41 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

As you may know, librsvg 2.50 on ‘core-updates-frozen’ depends on Rust. However mrustc, which we use to build the first Rust compiler, currently
only works on x86_64.  This means that ~28% of the packages on
‘core-updates-frozen’ are x86_64-only (vs. ~15% on ‘master’).

Among these, the most problematic missing packages are desktop
environments: Xfce, GNOME, etc.  So far our “pledge”, encoded in
‘etc/release-manifest.scm’, was that all the desktop environments would be available on x86_64 and i686, so that one could install Guix System just the same way on both. Currently this is no longer possible on
‘core-updates-frozen’, and I think that’s a problem.

The patch below does something unorthodox: it reintroduces librsvg 2.40
(written in C) and uses it selectively so we can have a desktop
environment with Xfce on i686. It’s not enough to get GDM though; there’s a couple of GNOME packages that depend on librsvg and I haven’t
checked whether they work with the old librsvg.

There is also the unpleasant option to introduce a rust binary for architectures other than x86_64, because we can’t bootstrap it there. It should be noted that this would not be unprecedented. We have bootstrap binaries for some compilers such as Free Pascal or GHC.

Adding an old version of librsvg is not obviously the better option.

--
Ricardo