guix-devel

Re: Proposal: Build timers

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Proposal: Build timers
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 06:21:21 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 25.11.2021, 04:03 +0000 schrieb Jacob Hrbek:
> Make it clear it's an estimate, or maybe even abstract away the time
> units so that there is no expectation of any particular time. --
> Vagrant
>
> My theory is designed with tolerance of <5 min with max tolerance of
> =10 min with methods that I am confident will get us within <30 sec
> assuming sufficient amount of data to construct the variables.
You are courageous to assume a variance of 5 minutes, let alone 30
seconds in everyday systems.  Aside from the variables I've already
pointed out, you'd have to consider that certain builds outside of CI
will enter a state of constant swapping at some point, yet still finish
building if not hitting OOM limits.  Also the fact that Guix might not
be the only process hogging resources on some particular machine.