guix-devel

Re: ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to loc

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:24:28 -0500

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 07:10:48PM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> Maybe there is consensus that adding ZFS is a legal risk.

I assume we are talking about the risk of litigation from Oracle (ZFS
owner), right?

Canonical decided in 2016 that the risk was low enough to take a chance
and include ZFS in Ubuntu:

https://ubuntu.com/blog/zfs-licensing-and-linux

Canonical earned $138 million in revenue in 2020, after earning more
than $100M in previous years as well [0]. So, they have a lot at stake
when taking that chance.

There are disagreements about whether or not the licenses in question
are compatible, but there is no definitive answer, only speculation and
rhetoric. Until then, all we can do is apply our values, balance our
options, and make a decision.

[0] Refer to "Group of companies' accounts made up to 31 December 2020":
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06870835/filing-history