guix-devel

Re: ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to loc

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 17:37:26 +0100

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 19:10:48 +0100
"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
> I don’t actually care about ZFS myself, but there should be a decision
> because I think current badly supported ZFS makes people here unhappy.
For people that really want the ZFS kernel module, would using an extra
channel for that be a big issue?

As I understand the ZFS module is already built from source so
maybe there is a way to make sure that everything that depends on zfs is
not rebuilt.

Or would there be other concerns for users of the ZFS kernel module if
the module is moved in an unofficial channel?

As long as the module isn't provided, it should also be safe to
maintain the rest (like the services), though I've no idea if doing
that in Guix is desirable or not.

Denis.