guix-devel

Re: [core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the s

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the same profile?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:37:46 +0100

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

on the core-updates-frozen branch we have a minor problem:
python-numpy has been upgraded to 1.21, but python-numba can only be built with 1.20[1]. I added python-numpy-1.20 and made
python-numba use it.

How big of an effort would it be to modify numba so that it works with
1.21?  With luck, that effort has already been made upstream?

It hasn’t. Upstream doesn’t seem to know exactly how to accomplish this. There’s a breaking change in numpy (something relating to typing of ufuncs) and it leads to incorrect type errors in numba AFAIU. This is not something I’d feel comfortable just hacking around.

--
Ricardo