guix-devel

Re: Using G-Expressions for public keys (substitutes and possibly more)

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Using G-Expressions for public keys (substitutes and possibly more)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:35:30 +0100

Am Montag, den 22.11.2021, 14:27 +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Hi,
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I think we would probably want to improve on this end in the guile-
> > gcrypt module, i.e. have a public-key "constructor" that returns a
> > canonical-sexp and so on.  WDYT?
>
> I don’t find it very compelling given there’s already
> ‘sexp->canonical-sexp’ & co.  WDYT?
sexp->canonical-sexp is from the comment surrounding it a rather hacky
beast.  I think (guile-)gcrypt could very well benefit from having a
better sexp construction API, but again that's outside the scope of
Guix.

But since you're asking, I do feel there's a lot guile-gcrypt could
borrow from Guix, just not right now in an efficient manner thanks to
needing to jump through the sexp->canonical-sexp hoops.  It could have
semantic constructors and field sanitization à la (guix records) for
example.  WDYT?