guix-devel

Re: Guix services, logging, and log rotation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix services, logging, and log rotation
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:40:09 +0100

Hi,

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:

> In the manual, SS10.8.3, it says:
>
>> (usually, services that produce log files already take care of that)
>
> I found an excellent example in =hpcguix-web-service-type=. It looks like you
> can achieve this by extending the =rottlog-service-type=?

Yes (info "(guix) Log Rotation").

> However, I noticed not all services allow users to specify where log files
> go, or setup log rotation. E.g.:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> (define syncthing-service-type
>   (service-type (name 'syncthing)
>                 (extensions (list (service-extension
> shepherd-root-service-type
>
> syncthing-shepherd-service)))
>                 (description
>                  "Run @uref{https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing, Syncthing}
> decentralized continuous file system synchronization.")))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Are these bugs?
>
> Why don't all services allow you to specify where logs go?

I think these are omissions rather than bugs.  But really, each daemon
has its own way of dealing with logging: some write to syslog (in which
case we don’t need to add a new log rotation rule), some just write to
stderr (like hpcguix-web, and in this case you need to pass #:log-file
to ‘make-forkexec-constructor’), some write to custom log files that may
or may not be configurable.

I think it’s nice in general for services to provide log rotation
entries, especially when they’re likely to produce verbose logs.

HTH,
Ludo’.