guix-devel

Re: python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / pack

From: Lars-Dominik Braun
Subject: Re: python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packaging python-ipydatawidgets
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 08:47:56 +0100

Hi Théo,

> Ok I see, it makes more sense now. But then I wonder why I could package
> "python-ipydatawidgets" with "python-setuptools" and
> "python-jupyter-packaging" as native-inputs. I had no collision warning
> but didn’t change anything in "python-jupyter-packaging" or anything.
as far as I know there are no collision checks/warnings in the build
environment. Which of the two will be picked up there merely depends on
the order of packages in PYTHONPATH. There are also no file collision
checks in `guix shell`/`guix environment`, which is why you end up with
a mix between v52 and v42 when running

        guix shell --pure python-jupyter-packaging python -- python3 -c 'import
jupyter_packaging'

It fails with an ImportError for me due to the wrong setuptools
version, but works fine if I add python-setuptools to the command line,
despite python-setuptools being propagated already.

Cheers,
Lars