guix-devel

Replacing polkit by polkit-duktape on core-updates-frozen ?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Replacing polkit by polkit-duktape on core-updates-frozen ?
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 13:23:37 -0500

Hello Guix!

I've finally merged the core-updates-frozen-batched-changes to
core-updates-frozen.  One of the changes it brought is an updated
(non-grafted) polkit; this polkit now depends on mozjs@78 which itself
depends on rust.

Unfortunately, our rust bootstrap doesn't currently build everywhere;
progress is being made in mrustc to improve the situation as we speak
[0], but in the meantime this rust-dependent polkit will cause problems
on non-x86_64 architectures (it is needed by GTK/GNOME through elogind).

One thing we could do in the meantime is to replace our polkit package
with polkit-duktape, which uses an (unmerged) patch to build polkit
against duktape rather than mozjs [1].  The patch seems to have garnered
some attention recently.  This would enable to build GTK and parts of
GNOME without rust, I believe.

What do you think?

[0]  https://github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc/issues/78#issuecomment-966470873
[1]  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/merge_requests/35