guix-devel

Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:27:54 -0500

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 10:58:40AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> Just to make sure I don't ask any other stupid questions in the future,
> where am I supposed to get this information from? I mean, I checked
> `guix-devel` before posting, but could not find any mention to this topic.

You have to deduce it based on some knowledge about what kind of
packages can be updated on the master branch and what kind of packages
cannot be updated there.

The key criterion for updating packages on master is how many dependent
packages they have. Basically, to update something on the master branch,
it should have less than 300 transitive dependents. This is described in
item 8 of the manual section Submitting Patches:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

Based on that knowledge, you can do `guix refresh --list-dependent
python`, and it will tell you "Building the following 6357 packages
would ensure 13585 dependent packages are rebuilt: [...]".

So, it's not something we can change on the master branch, and it is a
candidate for core-updates.

Then, you can check out the core-updates branch and see if the update
has been performed there. As we are in the final stages of the
core-updates cycle, there is also a core-updates-frozen branch, and even
a core-updates-frozen-batched-changes branch... to learn about those,
you'd have to ask on IRC or guix-devel.

I hope that helps!