guix-devel

Re: Test parallelism with CMake

From: Greg Hogan
Subject: Re: Test parallelism with CMake
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 10:47:39 -0400

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 8:09 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
Hi Greg,

Greg Hogan <code@greghogan.com> skribis:
> It seems that we should at a minimum document the issue in
> cmake-build-system:check. We could patch cmake-build-system to enable test
> parallelism and explicitly disable that setting for packages which succeed
> before but fail after making the change. What do you think?

I think we could make the change you made—running ‘ctest’—in
‘core-updates’.  If it turns out to be safer, we can have
#:parallel-build? default to #f at the beginning in
‘cmake-build-system’.

How does that sound?

Hi Liliana and Ludo’,

If the default is to disable parallel tests then it is unlikely that future committers will be aware of, remember, and bother to enable the setting. And once packages do override the default then there would be additional future work to invert the default value.

I do not know how to obtain the list of packages using the cmake-build-system.

The strategy looks to require multiple stages. First build and test the packages and ignore current failures. As noted by Liliana, next build and test the successful builds with ctest in serial. Hopefully no or few builds are newly failing at this point. Lastly build and test with ctest in parallel, and explicitly disable test parallelism for the failing builds.

Greg