Texinfo in Guile Scheme docstrings?

From: Yuval Langer
Subject: Texinfo in Guile Scheme docstrings?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:21:31 +0300

Hi,

I am writing docstrings to guile-srfi-189 currently[1] and looking for
good docstring style practices (that's another topic for another
thread).

I have noticed that there are some modules with Texinfo markup in
their docstrings, but I haven't found these markups being used in any
meaningful way.  I looked up two docstrings inside the Guile manual,
but couldn't find it there, so these docstrings are not used to
de-duplicate documentation.  The two I've searched are (srfi srfi-1)'s
assoc and (ice-9 popen)'s open-pipe*.

Someone had suggested the `guild doc-snarf` command, but it doesn't
output any of the docstrings.  What I did notice is that the text in
the docstrings defined in the /libguile/ C files can be found in the
Guile manual.  There is a tool called `guile-snarf` for the C code
docstrings, but that doesn't explain the Guile Scheme docstrings.

I am extremely confused.  Why have Texinfo in the docstrings of the
Scheme source when the docstrings defined in the C files are used?
Are there plans for developing tools that will display docstring in a
more intelligent way using those markups, like in the interactive
environment, or maybe assist in navigating the documentation?

Thank you,
Yuval Langer.

[1]: <https://codeberg.org/kakafarm/guile-srfi-189/>