Re: Guile 64-bit Windows support, redux

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Guile 64-bit Windows support, redux
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:40:20 -0400

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 4:29 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> So I can confirm that JIT indeed doesn't work right now on 64-bit
> MinGW, but it's relatively easy to fix (first patch). In essence
> lightening was getting the calling convention wrong.

Wow! Have you seen the JIT do its thing (via GUILE_JIT_LOG) or just
verified that compilation succeeds when JIT is enabled? Either way, a
big step forward. The patch is very simple, too.

> Compilation just works --with-threads, as long as bdwgc was built with
> --enable-threads=posix to override the automatic detection of win32
> threading. I haven't tested if it actually works, but there might be a
> good chance.

This is also encouraging! Anyone out there want to run a test using
call-with-new-thread?

> For the one known issue I mentioned above, the fix is also not too
> difficult, just being a bit more careful with mixing scm_t_inum and
> long (see second patch).

The patch makes sense to me!

> I'm also explicitly CC'ing Andy and Ludo - we really need a statement
> by a maintainer whether this can land. From my point of view, it's a
> clear improvement in terms of supported platforms, plus tested by
> LilyPond since some time now which is probably one of the bigger
> "customers".

+1 on hearing from Andy and/or Ludo about this. Jonas' patches are
small and should be relatively quick to review. :)

If this stuff lands I will have to find a Windows machine to try it
out sometime.

Thanks Jonas!

- Dave