Re: automake test driver for Guile scheme patch review

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: automake test driver for Guile scheme patch review
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:45:55 -0700

Thanks for the replies.

    MD> but I don't think it should be in Automake, because then the test
    driver is harder to update

Fine by me :).

    MD> I don't have any advise on how to get the automake maintainers

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I am, effectively, the automake
maintainer nowadays. Technically just a contributor, but no one else is
applying patches. (Jim Meyering is still making the releases, hopefully
with another one out before the end of the year.)

    TS> Well, it's already a part of Automake as
    contrib/test-driver.scm:

Sounds like I should remove it from there, since that version is stale,
as you both noted. It doesn't make sense to me to have a copy of a file
that is updated elsewhere. Better for it to be part of wherever it is
actually useful instead of putting me and laggard automake development
in the middle. Since it's been years since the initial patch+idea, and
no one has ever written about it, evidently the goal has been reached
outside of Automake.

    TS> I think that doing nothing other than closing that patch would be a
    reasonable course of action.  :)

It's nice to hear the same proposal twice :). Thus it shall be.

Freja, if you go forward with your project, evidently the conclusion is
that it's better to use the actively-maintained version in Guix.

--happy hacking, karl.