Re: automake test driver for Guile scheme patch review

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: automake test driver for Guile scheme patch review
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 00:43:12 +0100

Op 19-11-2023 om 18:17 schreef Karl Berry:
Hello Guile folk - back in May 2016, Mathieu Lirzin submitted a patch to
add a test driver for Guile Scheme to Automake.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2016-05/msg00000.html

It was never committed. It's been seven+ years, so before doing so, I
wanted to check if it was still useful, and valid. I know next to
nothing about Guile or Guix myself.

Please advise? If this is the wrong list, please forward? --thanks, karl.

(I'm not on this list, so please cc me with any replies.)

Useful, but I don't think it should be in Automake, because then the test driver is harder to update and it would add yet another source of bundling. Instead, I think the test driver should be a separate package/program (with support in Automake for invoking the driver) or part of Guile (maybe a "guild test" subcommand or something like that).

I don't have any advise on how to get the automake maintainers to actually respond to the patch beyond ‘maybe try again?’.

Also, the test driver has been updated since then. As far as I can tell, Guix is currently the upstream of the test driver (see: build-aux/test-driver.scm) -- while part of Guix, it should be straightforward enough to only install the test driver itself in distributions, without compiling or installing the rest of Guix.

(See, e.g. https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58365#9, where test-driver.scm (from Guix) is packaged as a Guix package, albeit not the best example because both are Guix.)

If you retry merging it into Automake, I recommend picking up the new version from Guix.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos