Re: Replacing Guile test-suite with SRFI-64?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Replacing Guile test-suite with SRFI-64?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:20:43 -0400

Hi,

Bruno Victal <mirai@makinata.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Would a rewrite of the Guile tests using SRFI-64 be a welcome idea?
> IMO the advantages of doing so are:
>
> * Less “specifics” that need to be learned solely for working with
> Guile. It's easier for people already using SRFI-64 to “bring in” their
> experience.
>
> * Standardized/portable. Straightforward to integrate external modules
> or SRFI sample implementations into Guile.
>
> * Pre-existing documentation.

I do not have extensive experience with the current test runner used by
Guile itself, but it sounds like a good idea to standardize to use
SRFI-64, as more people already know that library, and many SRFIs
published,
e.g.
<https://github.com/scheme-requests-for-implementation/srfi-209/tree/master>,
come with a SRFI-64 test suite, so it'd be less boilerplate to integrate
them.

Also, I like the idea of dogfooding *the* testing library of
Scheme/Guile.  If it fails short of the current custom testing framework
used by Guile, we should improve it.  This effort will help testing any
Guile/Scheme authored project out there, so is worth it in my opinion.

--
Thanks,
Maxim