Re: Feature request: make Guile compiler always write absolute paths in

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Feature request: make Guile compiler always write absolute paths in .go files for Geiser compatiblity
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:51:54 +0200

Op 25-09-2023 om 11:36 schreef Vili Aapro:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:26:31 +0200
Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:

Sounds like a very bad idea.  The absolute file name would be somewhere
in the build directory, which very likely doesn't exist anymore on a
typical installation.

Yes, you are right.

I suppose that whatever code
is responsible for loading .go/.scm can be adjusted to add a prefix
turning it in an absolute file name.

Yes, this must be the way. The loader should do the job.

  > One wrong way to find out the absolute path would be to go through
  > %load-path, but the semantics of that would break under mutation.
Can you elaborate?

I was just thinking of a dirty fix on the Emacs side of things, to search for
the module through %load-path, that that would break when %load-path was
mutated.

Can you elaborate on that -- i.e., how would mutating %load-path break things? Perhaps you mean that if %load-path is changed after the module is loaded, then the source file that was found (after changing %load-path) might not be the the actual source file?

I don't think it's much of a concern in practice, but I suppose it's worth addressing somehow.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos.