What's to be considered on-topic for Guile mailing lists? (Re: The messa

From: Maxime Devos
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 13:06:07 +0200

Op 05-07-2023 om 12:42 schreef Blake Shaw:
I think the guile mailing list has come to suffer seriously from a policing of what is appropriate for discussion. When I first started getting into guile at the beginning of 2021, the list was more open, active and enjoyable. Since then it has become a ghost town where tumbleweeds blow by in the time that remains between intermittent duals. But strangely there are still lots of people living in the town (ie guile users), they just seldom visit main street these days.

I'm personally interested to hear about what Stefan and other Guilers are up to beyond Guile, insofar as nobody is directing hate or bigotry. But more importantly, I wish that Guile could again become a space that welcomes discourse insofar as that discourse isn't perceived by some as causing harm or stirring irrelevant controversy.

’Being policed for basic on-topicness’ and ‘open and enjoyable’ are not mutually exclusive, and the former isn't a negative thing.

I find the ‘ghost town’ analogy a rather bad analogy; I would instead say that 'guile-devel' is, say, a research lab (dedicated to Guile itself) in an alive research centre (dedicated to Guile in general) -- the Guile department isn't really alive, but that's just because of lack of applicants and interest in working on Guile itself, not because of a bad work environment.

I don't have an issue with increasing the scope of what's considered on-topic of the mailing list to also include ‘what are others up to beyond Guile’ (changing it from ‘research lab’ to ‘an environment that contains a (strict) research lab and (non-strict) hanging-out area’ in the analogy).

However, this increase in scope hasn't actually happened yet -- it's still named guile-devel (i.e., __development__) -- it needs a name change, or some documentation in the manual.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos