Re: pull requests for guile

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: pull requests for guile
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 14:32:02 +0300

Matt Wette <matt.wette@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the savannah git repo support `git-request-pull'?

To the best of my knowledge, no any server-side support is required for that.

Git is intentionally designed to avoid any reliance on servers as much as
possible.

> And if so, would that make getting patches in more efficient?

I would like to double that question with no any particular connection to Guile.

I fully understand why many developers generally refuse to review freeform pull
requests and ask to send patches via their favourite integrated platform (such
as gitlab or github) — anyone can evaluate extra features they provide.

Yet, I fail to get why so many teams insist that patches must be submitted as
per git-format-patch.

Evidently, this is because they habitually rely on some tooling, that expects
patchsets in that format.  But what is that tooling?

The only thing the I am aware of is git-am, which provides... nothing (?) over
a simple pull request.

There must be some bits of hidden knowledge, passed from generation to
generation of maintainers of venerable bazaar-style projects. ;-)

So, I would be glad if Guile / Guix / etc patch-reviewers shared some details
about their workflow.