Re: Guile's time execution issues

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: Guile's time execution issues
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 17:32:29 -0700

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 7:11 AM Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Hola!

So weird I'm getting different numbers on 2.2.7. Not sure how I'm getting those initial ~20s and you are getting consistent ~ 45s. It shouldn't have nothing to do with it, but could it be I'm running it on macOS?

Now, it would be good to profile ‘json->scm’ to see if there’s anything
that could be improved on the Guile side, or if it’s just a normal
profile for GC-intensive code.

Good news is that I have been working on performance improvements and json->scm is going down from my ~19 seconds to ~3 seconds on the same sample file. Linus Björnstam was the one to bring up performance issues so we've been back and forth trying to make it fast.

One thing I found is that `match` is slow. The code looked nicer but had to change it back to lets and conds as the performance increase was ~2 seconds.

Thanks for looking into this,

Aleix