Re: 2.2 git users should switch to stable-2.2 branch

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: 2.2 git users should switch to stable-2.2 branch
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:55:12 +0200

On Thu 11 May 2017 21:54, Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

>> Incidentally if you use Guile commercially and would like to support my
>> work on it, let me know.
>
> I don't know what the right answer is to it (maybe eventually there
> would be a company making money off of Guix deployment that can manage
> to pay for full-time Guile work) but obviously this would be nice to see
> happen.

I think there's room for lots of organizations :) Commercially I see the
value as being in niches that can apply technology from the Guile
universe to problems people have.  We can (and should!) spread the
gospel of Scheme but that only gets you so far; my feeling is that
successful guile-hacking orgs will have a touch with some market need
beyond consultancy on Guile itself.  In that regard too that niche
relationship can exist in many different Guile-hacking orgs; a central
"GuileCo" doesn't seem likely to me.  Dunno tho :)

I personally don't see the "finish line" of a full-time Guile gig in
sight (yet?), so I am not going to put an extraordinary sprint of effort
into that side of things right now; Guile is still a side gig for me at
this point.  It's one which I'd be happy to expand of course but not
something on which to gamble the rent :)

Happy hacking,

Andy