Re: Unbuffered socket I/O

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Unbuffered socket I/O
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:30:00 +1100

> N calls to `scm_getc ()'

Speaking of scm_getc ... I've wondered for a while if some of the low
level reading funcs ought to be looking directly into the read buffer
instead of making a call to scm_getc for every char.  My experience
has usually been that a function call per character is very much to be
avoided if performance on sizeable input matters.

I'd have in mind simple bits like rdelim `read-line' which could do a
scan of the buffer for a newline; and possibly scm_flush_ws (within
`read') which is looking for non-whitespace and jumping over comments.
Not sure if helping the latter would be noticable speedup, but it's
nice to think that big chunks of comments in sources could be cheap to
read.