grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 release, etc.

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 release, etc.
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:04:49 -0500

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:12:13 +0200
Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:30:47AM -0500, Glenn Washburn wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:48:39 +0800
> > Xiaotian Wu <wuxiaotian@loongson.cn> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Daniel.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your release plan.
> > >
> > > I would like to ask, can GRUB-2.12 add a new LoongArch architecture
> > > support?
> > >
> > > LoongArch is a RISC instruction set from China. Currently, Linux-5.19
> > > adds LoongArch CPU support and will support complete EFIStub in version
> > > 5.20.
> > >
> > > On GRUB, including 2 patch sets:
> > >
> > > 1. Add the basic support of LoongArch so that GRUB can run on the
> > > LoongArch machine. See
> > > https://github.com/loongarch64/grub/tree/dev/patchwork/base
> > >
> > > 2. Add the loader for kernel, but it depends on a series of patch of
> > > Loadfile2. See https://github.com/loongarch64/grub/tree/dev/patchwork/efi
> > >
> > > These patchs are already available, and tested on CLFS and Archlinux for
> > > LoongArch.
> > >
> > > If we plan to support LoongArch in GRUB-2.12, I will update these patchs
> > > and release the 4th version of the patch for review.
> >
> > I think it would be great to have LoongArch in GRUB. It should be a hard
> > requirement that support for the architecture be added for the make
> > check tests. This will require that QEMU have support for LoongArch. It
> > looks like the current release of QEMU does not have support for
> > LoongArch, but there is a patch series[1] which adds it. I presume that
>
> What is the status of this patch series right now? If it is in or close
> by I would ask for at least minimal tests for the LoongArch support in
> the GRUB.

After more investigation, it looks like that patch series is dead. I
think WANG Xuerui should be able to confirm this and tell us the
roadmap looks like for QEMU system support. The latest series that
looks to add support to QEMU (and appears to be on the verge of getting
merged) looks like its only linux-user emulation, not full system
emulation[1], which we need. Looking again at the originally mentioned
patch series[2], I'm seeing now that that series was for adding support
for emulating various architectures on LoongArch, not visa-versa. So
maybe full-system emulation is still far off, but I'd like confirmation
from WANG Xuerui or Xiaotian Wu.

Glenn

[1]
https://patchew.org/QEMU/20220624031049.1716097-1-gaosong@loongson.cn/