grub-devel

Comparable syslinux kernel command in GRUB2?

From: Robert LeBlanc
Subject: Comparable syslinux kernel command in GRUB2?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 10:17:34 -0600

I'm trying to convert a syslinux/isolinux config from the VMware ESXi installer ISO for PXE booting and I'm trying to figure out how the syslinux 'kernel' command translates to GRUB2. I've tried `linux` and `linux16`, but those don't work. I've found some examples of using `multiboot`, but that just hangs. I tried chainloading the ISO as well as the `syslinux_source` and `syslinux_configfile` (which is not the way I'd like to go in the end) but it also fails with a message "kernel without label" when I load the isolinux.bin file with syslinux_source.

At this point I'm trying to understand how "kernel" in syslinux is able to load the ESXi kernel, but GRUB is not. This is the first thing that I can't get GRUB to do so I'm assuming it's an issue with me and I need more enlightenment. This is the ESXi 6.7 ISO that I'm working with.

Thank you.
Robert LeBlanc
PGP Fingerprint 79A2 9CA4 6CC4 45DD A904  C70E E654 3BB2 FA62 B9F1