grub-devel

Re: search by partition type guid supported?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: search by partition type guid supported?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:58:42 -0700

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 6:25 AM Maxim Fomin <maxim@fomin.one> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that grub 'search' command does not work with gpt partition type
> codes. However search for partition *type* uuid (unlike unique partition
> uuid) can result in two or more devices in multiboot environment - this
> leaves the question how to choose among them. Except this, I think adding
> support for 'search' command is easy, but grub developers may not agree that
> this feature is usefull.

Discoverable Partitions Spec uses language like this, to deal with
such ambiguity:

>On systems with matching architecture, the first partition with this type UUID
>on the disk containing the active EFI ESP is automatically mounted to the root
>directory /.

I think this can be dealt with by specification or distribution use
case requirements. In any case it can be made unambiguous, I'm not
super fussy how that's done. The advantage of this is permitting
static creation of configuration files, less dependency on customized
configuration.

--
Chris Murphy