grub-devel

Re: Recent removal of a.out and COFF support for sparc

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: Re: Recent removal of a.out and COFF support for sparc
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 20:11:13 +0200

On 08/08/2018 07:08 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:
>>> Why isn't *what* done on gold? Gold is ELF-only and doesn't use BFD.
>>
>> Development of new features. I know that Gold is ELF-only that's why
>> I was wondering why BFD isn't just kept in maintenance mode.
>
> Gold supports only a small fraction of the platforms that BFD does,

Which of the platforms that are still relevant for commercial applications
are supported by BFD which are not supported by Gold?

As far as I know, Gold support x86*, POWER*, ARM*, s390* and MIPS* which
covers all of the targets that distributions like Fedora, openSUSE and
Debian consider as supported release architectures.

> and many of those platforms don't use ELF. In addition, almost all of
> the other binutils tools use BFD. BFD is far from being relegated to
> maintenance mode.

What about elfutils for these purposes? I have been told by gcc people
that elfutils was supposed to replace binutils in this regard.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - address@hidden