grub-devel

Re: Recent removal of a.out and COFF support for sparc

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Recent removal of a.out and COFF support for sparc
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:04:09 +0200

I can change code to do conversion to coff ourselves.

вт, 7 авг. 2018 г., 12:56 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <address@hidden>:
Hello!

binutils/bfd recently removed a.out and COFF support for sparc [1].

Unfortunately, this means that we are no longer able to built GRUB
or SILO for sparc/sparc64 which need to be built as a.out binaries
as the Open Boot Firmware requires them to be in a.out format [2].

I would therefore like to ask to start a discussion about a potential
reversal of this commit as I don't think we can forgo being able
to build a bootloader on sparc/sparc64.

Also, since m68k is still very actively maintained (there is even
LLVM support in the works now) and since AmigaOS uses COFF, I would
to ask for the a.out and COFF support for m68k to be reinstated
as well [3].

Thanks,
Adrian

--